Friday, October 24, 2008

ScripTextings

So a friend of mine, Brian Clark, told me about this idea. Like most professional reminderers (what? I'll explain later), I took Brian's idea and made it my own. Back to the idea…basically I read Scripture, allow the Holy Spirit to illuminate a word, verse, or passage and after meditating on it for awhile, I reproduce it into text form and send it out to students, parents, and leaders. To date, it's been pretty successful. I currently have about 60 people that regularly receive a text from me every morning.


My prayer is that those who receive the text will do the same. You might be surprised to discover that this is an actual "spiritual habit". The practice is called Lectio Divina or Divine Word. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll add you to the list. However, don't rely on my reproduction of 100-135 characters of scripture to get you through the day. If you receive my text, go back to the original chapter and read the verse in context. Allow God to speak to you through His Spirit and see how you're led individually. Branch out and develop your own discipline and share it back with me.

No comments: